Dr. Mark Carroll is an Adelaide based musician, educator and academic.
Biography[edit | edit source]
Carroll was a member of Young Modern in the late 1970s and for their reformation in the 2000s. He has a regular spot on 5AA radio as "The Rock Doctor" and is co-director of The J.M. Coetzee Centre for Creative Practice at the Elder Conservatorium.
Discography[edit | edit source]
With Young Modern
- Play Faster (2005)
- How Insensitive (2007)
- Live at the Grace Emily, 22.12.2010 (2011)
Publications[edit | edit source]
Books[edit | edit source]
- 2011 Mark Carroll, ed. The Ballets Russes in Australia and Beyond (Adelaide: Wakefield Press) (100%)
- 2006 Malcolm Gillies, David Pear and Mark Carroll. A Self-Portrait of Percy Grainger (New York: Oxford University Press) (33%)
- 2003 Mark Carroll. Music and Ideology in Cold War Europe (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press) (100%)
Book Chapters[edit | edit source]
- 2011 ‘Regarding Faustus: Myth, Legend, and the Composer's Voice', in The Oxford Handbook of Faustian Music (Oxford: Oxford University Press, in press).- 'Introduction', in The Ballets Russes in Australia and Beyond (Adelaide: Wakefield Press), pp. 6-23.
- 2011 ‘Tall tales and true: Ballet straddles the great divide', in The Ballets Russes in Australia and Beyond(Adelaide: Wakefield Press), pp. 78-93.
- 2011 "A Flutter in the Orchestras": The Ballets Russes and the Australian orchestral situation', in The Ballets Russes in Australia and Beyond (Adelaide: Wakefield Press), pp. 142-159.
- 2010 ‘Qui vivra verra, qui verra entendra: Messiaen on life, death, serialism and synaesthesia', Messiaen: The Centenary Papers (Cambridge Scholars Press), pp. 28-37.
- 2009 ‘All Together Now: The Prague Manifesto (1948) and the Association française des musiciens progressistes', French History and Civilisation: Papers from the George Rude Seminar, Vol. 2. Vesna Drapac and Andre Lambelet (eds) (H-France, online).
- 2002 ‘South Australian contemporary popular music', The Wakefield Companion to South Australian History, Wilfrid Prest, ed. (Adelaide: Wakefield Press), pp. 419-420.
Journal Articles[edit | edit source]
- 2010 'Loneliness is such a drag: Existential Psychedelia and Jimi Hendrix's "The Burning of the Midnight Lamp"', Musicology Australia 32.2 (December): 161-183
- 2010 ‘Hearing is Believing: The Songs in the Blaue Reiter Almanac', Musicology Australia 32.1 (July): 3-26
- 2009 ‘Russian Music and Nationalism' (extended book review), Slavic Review 68.2: 449-451
- 2008 ‘Music Divided' (extended book review), Slavic Review 67.2: 467-468
- 2007 ‘"Let's Stage a Fight!": Massine's Symphonic Ballets in Australia', Brolga 26: 14-26
- 2006 '"It Is": Reflections on the Role of Music in Sartre's La Nausée', Music & Letters 87.3: 398-407
- 2006 ‘A Political Soft-Shoe Shuffle: de Basil's Ballets Russes and the Centenary of South Australia (1936)',Brolga 25: 6-22
- 2002 ‘Commitment or Abrogation? Avant-garde Music and Jean-Paul Sartre's Idea of Committed Art', Music & Letters 83.4: 590-606
- 2002 'La vie musicale sous Vichy' (extended book review), Music & Letters 83.3:503-505
- 2001 ‘Jean-Paul Sartre, René Leibowitz and the Musician's Conscience', Context 22: 89-94