Secret Salmon is an experimental free improvisation noise trio formed in Adelaide, South Australia on the 6th of March, 2015. Apart from the occasional loop that may have been created before a performance, their music is always composed on the spot using whatever instruments or objects they can find.
History[edit | edit source]
Season One (2015-2016)[edit | edit source]
Secret Salmon was founded by experimental musicians, Ray Martin Bryant, Rex Hunter S. Thompson, and Chuck D. B. Cooper after the recording of their first jam together. This recording became the first episode of their Secret Salmon podcast series, which is currently hosted on Mixcloud.
Season one started with the first episode airing on the 6th of March, 2015 and ended with the 22nd episode airing on the 15th of January, 2016. Originally there was supposed to be 23 episodes, but the recording that was to be episode 4 was lost, resulting in only 22 episodes. This is also the reason the 4th episode to be aired was titled episode 5.
Between Seasons (2016-Present)[edit | edit source]
A number of recordings which were recorded between April and May, 2015, were released on April 5th, 2016 as an album titled Conspiracy. The album follows the same "train of conciousness" style as the Secret Salmon Podcast Series, and contains four tracks lasting around 20 minutes each.
Another album comprised of a collection of semi structured songs was released two weeks later on April 18th, 2016, called I, Spy. This album had a different approach to the first one, but just like Conspiracy it is completely improvised and was recorded in one take. The album consists of 10 somewhat structured beat driven and melodic songs that closely resemble rock or punk. The majority of the material on I, Spy was lifted from Season 1, Episode 21 of the Secret Salmon Podcast series. This particular episode was titled Here Come The Spiders From Mars, as a hat tip to David Bowie after an incident that occurred in the studio during the recording of the episode, involving millions of tiny spiders. The episode was recorded and aired on January 8th, 2016, but by the time the podcast episode was archived on the mixcloud site two days later, the hat tip to David Bowie became a dedication.
Musical Influences[edit | edit source]
Secret Salmon is influenced by the sounds around them and varying musical genres and cultures.
Members[edit | edit source]
- Ray Martin Bryant
- Chuck D. B. Cooper
- Rex Hunter S. Thompson
Episode Guide[edit | edit source]
- Episode One aka. Secret Salmon
- Salmon Season
- The Secret Salmon Society
- Episode 5
- Zzaj Cinatas (Act 1: International Jazz Day)
- Zzaj Cinatas (Act 2: Walpurgis Nacht)
- Secret Simon Says "Shh!"
- Case of the Stolen Dragnet
- Fish Mistress Murder Mystery
- The Cat That Lost Her Fish
- The Case of Missing Money
- Vampire Space Goat Coast to Coast
- The Case of the Murderous Clown Detective from Dimension X
- Squid Squid
- No Son of a Gregory Arn
- The Homosexual One
- The Sea Urchin, The Space Cowboy, and The Barnacles of Death
- House of Salmon, Secret Cuckoos (Happy Birthday, Brother Dad)
- Here Come The Spiders from Mars
- Rock is Dead!
Discography[edit | edit source]
- Conspiracy (2016)
- I, Spy (2016)
- Komputer Magick (2017)
- The Fish That Has is Crunched and the Wound is Received [split with Harsh Noise Movement] (2017)
- Lunch (2017)
- Songs in the Key of H (2017)
- Lady in the Longdrop (2017)
- dRum Diaries (2017)
- After The Hidden Fisherman's Ball (2017)
- Brechtian Onanistic Rites in Three Dimensions (2018)
- Sex Daddy (2018)